In September 2013 all maintained schools in England were given additional government funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer to pupils in their schools. Schools are free to choose the best way of using this money.
Ofsted will assess and report on how effectively this is being used when schools are inspected. Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that they should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
For example, you can use your funding to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Lifeclubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
You should not use your funding to:
- employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements – these should come out of your core staffing budgets
- teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum – including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum)
Reporting on expenditure must include the following:
- your PE and sport premium allocation for the current financial year,
- details of how you intend to spend your allocation
- details of how you spent your previous academic year’s allocation
- how it made a difference to the PE and sport participation and attainment of the pupils who attract the funding
The school started looking at the funding on a Financial year basis and then in 2014 to 2015 moved to an academic Year analysis.
How we intend to spend this year’s allocation:
Evaluation of previous years: